One thing I feel I have not shared about as much as I should is Africa. That was life changing. I still remember so clearly the day we were driving back and my dad told me that the things I was feeling at that moment needed to stay with me, that I couldn't have this experience then be the same person that I was before it happened, a month later. So I haven't. I often think back to Africa. I think about how blessed I am and what I have. I think about what these people didn't have. (All of these pictures are taken by me, from MY trip)
What they have to do to even get ends meat. The things the women endure from the men. Taking care of children all on there own. I remember someone there telling us that a lot of the time women have so many children that they will take them to the market and purposely lose them because they can't afford to pay for them. They abandon them.
That because of the Kerosine they use to light the fires in their homes, almost 50 % of children fall into a fire and are badly burnt. They don't know much to treat it, and they think the best thing to do is run to get it out. Even us teaching them STOP. DROP. and ROLL. could save so many lives.
The fact that they don't even know what brushing their teeth is. How many times do we complain about doing such a task as this? That it takes up our precious time. That it is wasteful and we hate to do it. Have we ever thought that people on the other side of the world have never seen a tooth brush. Don't even know what brushing their teeth means? It's little things like this we take for granted EVERYDAY.
The fact that we have SHOES. That we don't have to go around walking everywhere, with trash, and droppings, and such dirty floors with unclothed feet. Has anyone ever stepped onto a bathroom floor without shoes on, say, if they are going swimming or something? And thought they would die by how gross it was for their feet to touch that dirty floor. The people in africa have worse floor. And they never have shoes.
The fact that we aren't in such need of little things like pencils and toys that we have to reach our arms out every time we see the opportunity of getting something? That one little thing will benefit our lives so greatly we would fight a crowd just to get one little thing. That we need ANYTHING that much.
The fact that our roads are nice enough, when we go on a LONG car ride it isn't bumpy. That they are so smooth we can read, or sleep, or write, or watch a movie. Have any of us every stopped the think about the blessing we have of smooth roads?
This is how bumpy the roads were. My camera was held still.
How many times do we realize what we have? We have SO MUCH. but something hit me on this trip. We have too much. We take for granted what we have because we have everything. We don't realize what a blessing it is to eat when we want to. To have plumbing. To live with people who care about us. To have a town that smells good. To be able to brush our teeth. To be able to go in public without watching our pockets. To be able to feel safe. To have a school to go to. To have shoes. To have cable. To have blankets. To enjoy our lives. We don't realize what we have.
And that's the difference between us and the people of Kenya.
When I talked to a man at the hospital we conversed about his dog. Then he asked me about my home and if I love it. As I replied yes, in my mind I heard myself complaining. I don't know why I am not grateful for where I live. As we continued to talk he asked me about America. He told me that he wanted to visit it someday. I then proceeded to ask him if he would want to live there. To which he replied: No. Just visit. Kenya is my home. I love it here.
While we have so much. They have NOTHING but YET:
They. Understand.
They realize what they have. They understand what blessings they have in their life. They learn to embrace life. They find joy in everything that they can. Even with everything I've said that they don't have. They just get what we seem to not be able to, they look at what they do have. They are some of the happiest people I've ever encountered. The people of Africa were the most gracious, beautiful people. They were fascinated to learn the things about health that we had to teach them. They found happiness playing with a small ball. They sang songs they knew with all of their heart. They laughed as they placed duck duck goose. They found pleasure in the company of others.
When I was able to go to the school and talk to the kids they laughed as they asked me why I was white. If I liked Obama. What those things on my teeth were (braces). If I was married. How many siblings I had. As I talked to these kids I realized that with each person they come in contact with, they want to know about them. They care about the person and what is happening in their life. What types of things surround their everyday whereabouts. Something it seems we Americans can't grasp ourselves.
THAT stuck to me. We have SO much more in America. We have everything that these people don't have. Everything that we feel sorry for them for not having because without these things we think they can't truly be happy. We are so wrong. The truth is, materialistically they have nothing. We have everything. But yet their lives have everything, while our lives seem to be so filled with self pity.




read it all. very insightful. i'm jealous, i feel like you know so much more about life than i do... thanx for sharing. :)
ReplyDelete