I had each line memorized perfectly.
I traced them all with the tip of my thumb.
I knew this leaf. I knew it well.
I took it as a treasure.
I locked it away in a box of mine, and told no one of it's whereabouts.
I went back every day, often enough to study the magical tracings.
How could I follow it all exactly with my eyes closed, I knew not.
It was a secret with myself, and secret I didn't understand how I knew.
But one I held it close to me. It gave me all I needed.
I'd think about it often. It would be in the back of my mind.
I'd hold it close treasure this little incentive of knowledge.
Until one day I grabbed my lock box.
Carefully uncovered the lid.
I found my leaf. Destroyed.
Ripped, broken, torn, suffering.
All my own little world vanished.
What I held dear, what was my own special, gone. Forever.
I picked up the pieces as I attempted to string it back together.
A tear falling for every piece as I went along.
Until finally I gave up.
I resisted ever looking in that box again.
Although upon more than one occasion I remembered back to my leaf.
How I knew it perfectly I never discovered.
But what happiness I got from it was evident.
I was thankful for the memory of my own secret.
But torn inside for the loss of what made me myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment