Today was one of those days. It was one of those days where you express yourself.
People may not know this about me. but... I am very self conscious.
I'm afraid to put myself out there and I hate feeling like a dork.
It takes everything I have to do the things I do.
One of those things is make sure I do things that make me look like a complete dork.
When there are spirit days to me those are days to go ALL OUT.
Although, going all out is hard for me. I make myself wear the silly things that I do so that I'll get over my insecurities and look the most ridiculous that I can. The whole time I'm walking into the school I am actually overcome with embarrassment. But I tell myself that I can do it and I make myself. So that way I'm used to being someone people can expect craziness from.
So today I went to school as a pregnant women. why? because it was adult day. I'm not going to wear some business outfit while all the other grades get to dress up cool. That is just WAY too lame. And I don't do lame. So I got on a belly, one of my mother's dresses, some glasses, pulled my hair up, and was ready to go. The reactions I got were clear. It was a brilliant idea given to me by Catie Brown, by the way, that I mustered enough guts to actually fulfill. Everyone loved it. (or was totally creeped out by it) but it was funny either way.
So when I'm talking to my dear friends at lunch and my arm gets yanked away by some lady who works in the office and tells me that I "need to come with her" I'm a little confused. She sits me down and tells me to wait until Dr. Bayles (if that's even how you spell his name?) comes. Im sitting there about to cry because I don't get in trouble, it's not something that I do, and I'm about to be yelled at for being creative (something the world is trying to stop these days). Dr. Bayles never showed up so instead my conversation with Monks went a little like this:
(conversation is not exactly word for word but as close as the author can recollect)
Monks: So I see you decided to wear something inappropriate to school today.
Me: That's what I hear, but I don't see how it's inappropriate
Monks: It is not appropriate for high school students.
Me (dumbfounded and honestly don't even know how to respond): Um.... well when I was thinking through what to wear I definitely didn't think this would be inappropriate.... I'm an adult..... So how in the future would you like me to decide if what I wear for spirit days is inappropriate or not?
Monks: well... you need to clear it with the Student Government leaders.
Me: I had Miss Baker's class today and she thought it was hilarious.
Monks: Well..... we just hope that our students will be smarter than that.
Me: Uh...... ok.
Monks: You're not in trouble, that's just inappropriate for high school students and you need to go change so we can all enjoy the rest of the day. And before a student or a teacher says anything about it.
Me: Uh... okay. I can do that I guess.
Monks: there's a bathroom right over there, do it before you leave the office.
Me: Okay.
end conversation:
so basically what I understand is that to be an adult and have children is not.... appropriate? Not that in school we learn so much about having a family.... and being able to pay for them... and being parents.... and how children are made...... but if you think that demonstrating what being an adult honestly has in store, think twice..... cause. It's inappropriate.
I didn't mean to offend anyone.... really? Just trying to show my school spirit. But they don't even let you do that anymore.
My parents thought the idea was brilliant. They thought it was hilarious. The perfect way to resemble an adult. My sister was a wee offended... cause she is pregnant.... and married of course....
I even wore a wedding ring with the outfit.
lame-o administrators. I want to write a letter because I'm offended that they think pregnancy is inappropriate. I've been pregnant twice and I don't think it was inappropriate either time. Teen pregnancy is one thing, but on adult day? When the point is that you're an adult? I really want to go have a chat with that Mr. Monks- and whatever lady thought it was "appropriate" to grab you by the arm and haul you off.
ReplyDeleteI know right! I can't believe that happened to me. And people dress up as pregnant women all the time for halloween. That's okay with administration? obviously they just secretly have something against people who are creative with the spirit days they are given. they see it unfair to the children who can't afford to think about a good costume because they are too lazy.... just sayin. Love you anna!
ReplyDelete