So... It's cheesy. But that's what mood I'm in.
It was your special day. So I did everything for you.
Breakfast in bed, a movie during the day, a walk on the beach.
I even bought those expensive raspberries from your favorite market just because it was your day.
I sprayed the house down with your favorite smells,
And I listened to your favorite music even though I hate it.
I took you to that museum that you love and a picnic for lunch.
I packed all of your favorite foods that took an hour to prepare.
I looked into your eyes and told you everything I've ever held back.
For your special day. I gave you everything.
Then it hit.
Thunderous screams from both sides of the kitchen.
That night we didn't sleep, but screamed instead.
You said what you said because you knew it would hurt me.
I yelled back everything I hoped would break your heart.
It was the worst one yet. The biggest downfall of our story.
The cut to the string, and the whip in the fall.
Tears drowned the floor coming from both faces.
I know I'll never forget that night.
I dreaded the day that was to come.
My special day just for me.
I'd lay in bed all day, never coming out, just waiting for it to be over.
It came slowly and with it each increasing moment hurt more and cut deeper.
When the morning broke that day I hadn't talked to you in a week.
The longest week of my life. But today was my day.
I woke up to 36 roses surrounding my bed with a note from you.
The words directed me on a little hunt.
So I slipped on my socks and shuffled downstairs where the best food I'd ever imagined awaited me.
And then you were with a smile on your face saying, It's your day, nothing was going to ruin it.
I lifted my arms around you and drifted off into the sweet smell of the syrup on your hands.
You took me to my favorite park and we played like little kids.
You brought me to the food shelter that we first met at. We served the food, and had even more fun than the first time.
A trip to the zoo to see all my favorite animals was already enough, but you outdid yourself with a personal song written just for me on your guitar.
You held me as we star gazed and I looked into your eyes.
Why did you do all this for me? I asked.
You knew I was referring to our fight.
I don't care what happened. You replied. I care too much about you to not repay what you gave to me.
A silly little fight couldn't ever change my mind. This is your day. And I promised to make it special.
I never break a promise to you.
Never.
So I closed my eyes. And stayed in that moment forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment